Tuesday, February 1, 2011

How can we hitch art to the right transformer?

posted by Henry McHenry (YRC '69-'73)

As one who joined the Chorus after the initial burst of energy -- I don't remember the story of Denis' seismic remark, but I can sense its impact among the people to whom I now belong -- I say sign me up. Even if the Brightlys' resume of the status quo were onesided, it's clear that we need to shift (if not sweep away) an "underlying structure" of cant, of ignorance, of betrayal. And it’s too easy an out to say that with our musical contribution we should be paving the way to the promised land we not only envision but know, intimately and concretely. How is art to be hitched to the right transformers? Can the 92nd St Y be such a voltage amplifier? What other connections need to be made? Have we ever been in the White House? Seems like it might be a propitious time to get a gig there. Where are the levers? Can we get Hillary invited to the Y?

Thanks for the poke, John & Ellen.

As for another subject, how about stories of where we are in our various lives now? I feel barely acquainted with most of us. So after thirty years as an English teacher and outdoor instructor and exercise leader, I went to nursing school for an RN and found out how much older I am than I think I am. I got the RN, but now have to contemplate actually working full time (the only way they’ll hire a new graduate). There’s lots of others than me to do that, so pace Denis, I may stick to blogging, now that this avenue has opened.

Henry McHenry Jr (’69 -’73)

No comments:

Post a Comment